My personal thoughts about life with a disability and all other things I consider important in my life.

Friday, August 18, 2006

6 Weeks

First off, I live similarly to the blind. I have the layout of the house virtually memorized so I don't need to use my eyesight to figure things out. This saves the brain so much effort!

So - when things change, life is difficult.

My education through exercise physiology tells me the body needs 4 weeks to become familiar with new moves, new motions, new weights, etc. BS. Maybe for 'normal' people. But it takes my brain and body 6 weeks to figure things out and become familar with them.

Let's take the last 2 weeks as an example. My father moved a cabinet out of the house. I was given a new printer (way cool! - thank you Mom and Sister!) which meant the office needed another shelf unit and rearranging of half the room.

My body will need 6 weeks before it's used to this arrangement. And this comes after changing the bathroom door 4 weeks ago. Because of these changes, I'll be dizzy for a total of 8 weeks, figuring no more changes to the layout of the house.

My aunt visits 2-3 times per week. She also goes to FL for 10ish weeks in the late fall. When she comes back, it takes me 6 weeks to not be dizzy after she visits.

Visiting my sister for a week makes me dizzy for at least 2. The week I'm there and the week after to readjust to my surroundings. Better than 12 - 6 there and 6 back. But it really gives people an idea as to WHY I don't like to travel. Forget the actual vertigo from riding in a car for more than 20 minutes.

And all through this, my cognitive ability is shot. Thinking, understanding English (which should be my first language), simple concepts, simple addition, writing, understanding the written word, speaking - are all so difficult I tend not to do any of them.

6 weeks. You try it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home